Why take engagement photos?
Although you may not realize it, your e-session will probably be more important than you think. TTL Wedding Photography offers engagement sessions because it’s not only an opportunity to have some informal, fun shots done before your wedding but also a chance for you and your photographer to get to know each other. It’s a great way to get comfortable in front of the camera, especially if you are camera shy. We love photographing engagements to build a level of trust with our couples and find out what makes them tick. E-sessions are also a great way for us to exercise our creativity in an informal, relaxed atmosphere and this results in photographs that our clients love. Many couples ask us to make them a signing album with their engagement photos or make a large matted print for their wedding guests to sign.
Our open dates tend to fill up fast, so try to schedule your session as early as possible. Remember, if you want to use your photos for your programs, invitations, Save the Date cards or guest book, you’ll need to do your session as early as possible!
How long does the session last? What should we expect?
Engagement sessions are FUN! They’re laid back and relaxed and are all about us getting to know you as a couple and you getting to know us as photographers. Sessions usually last around 1-2 hours and mainly consist of us putting you in a great spot with perfect light and then you being yourselves, acting silly or being snuggly. We don’t do a lot of posing, but will help you out a little, so don’t worry too much about “not knowing what to do.” Everybody usually starts out feeling a bit self-conscious, but by the end of the session, you’ll feel like a natural!
Location, location, location…
Before we schedule an e-session, we always ask our couples if they have a preferred location where they would like to have their engagement photos taken. Some places that might make your list of locations are:
- where you first met;
- where you had your first date;
- your favourite coffee-shop;
- a place with a variety of colours;
- a really cool part of town or;
- a place which you think would be the last place you would meet a photographer, like an abandoned warehouse.
If you don’t have any ideas, not to worry, we are full of suggestions!
What to wear and what to bring with you.
We always tell our clients to stick to your own personal style, but maybe rev it up a notch. If you like color, wear something BOLD! If you love accessories, go for it! If you’re a jeans and t-shirt kinda couple, wear jeans, but maybe throw a fun pair of boots or high heels in the mix and pick out the cutest striped t-shirt you can find. Hats are always fun and we love it when people bring props. Do you guys love to travel? Bring along some vintage suitcases! Love to go see cheesy movies? Bring some 3D glasses! Have fun and be yourself! Here are a few tips on what to wear:
- solid-coloured clothes, in bold or neutral shades always look good;
- avoid clothing with busy patterns or logos, they take the viewer’s attention away from your face;
- dress at the same level of formality as your partner;
- wear dressy casual, versatile clothes that you feel happy with.
Remember, these are only suggestions. The shoot is about who you are, your personalities and passions. When choosing more formal or casual clothing, don’t try to be something you are not, be yourself.
- you may want to bring an alternative wardrobe with you, for more variety in your photos, if desired;
- plan on leaving your purse, bag and other accessories in your car;
- you may want to bring along some props like a unique piece of jewelery or clothing, items of special meaning, a favourite flower, etc. Choose items that help to identify you as a couple, but won’t detract from your appearance;
- if you are doing a shoot with your dog, bring a friend with you to watch the pet while you are getting other types of pictures taken.
Tips on posing
- if you want, bring a few photos with you of other engagement shoots that you love or bring some ideas of what types of photos you would like. Or, better yet, email them to us before the shoot. This is not necessary as it is up to us to direct you but if you have your own vision of what you want your e-session to be like, don’t keep it a secret from us!
- relax and listen to our directions. We will usually tell you what we are trying to achieve to get you on board with our ideas. At other times, we might work from a distance, telling you to forget we’re even there and asking you to cuddle, look into each other’s eyes, and be playful and romantic;
- if the sun is in your eyes, close your eyes and ask us to tell you to open your eyes just before we take the photo;
- smile with your eyes first – the most important part of your face. Even if your mouth doesn’t smile, putting a twinkle in your eyes brings out your personality;
- for more moody or romantic look, less smile is better;
- relax your hands in whatever position they are;
- for kissing shots, avoid open-mouth kissing. For the ultimate sensual look, freeze an inch from touching each other’s lips. This is a pre-kiss perfection that allows your faces and your intentions to be seen but leaves the actual kiss for you, not the viewer.
I realize this may be a lot of information and if you’re feeling a bit nervous don’t worry about it! The only thing you really should remember is to relax, go with the flow, have fun, and let your personality shine!